After spending a couple of days reading and writing, I'm starting my comprehensive exam - another step towards the PhD. I've been given 10 days to read, think, reflect, and write an essay to answer one of three questions. Can't say anything else about the exam - the area I'm working on is "Critical Issues in US Higher Ed" and the faculty did a great job of thinking of some great questions. I was actually excited about the questions (such a geek, but hey, it's true).
The odd thing is that this is the start of day 4 of actually taking time away from daily responsibilities to work on it - Friday the question came in...came home a noon and started reading. Saturday, spent the day at the library reading and was gently hijacked into a 1.5 hr conversation with a new friend of aboriginal heritage. Tuesday I let myself be hijacked into work email for 2/3rd of the day. Wednesday night got home from work at 7 and went to bed at 10 rather than reading that last 3 chapters.
Thursday...it's 10:15 and I am blogging instead of writing. I set my work email with an outgoing "ain't reading email for the next 4 days". Told my colleagues I'm not answering email - call my cell if there is an urgent item. Went to the library to get away from the work and home distractions. And here I am...10:19 and not writing. Why is it that if the deadline is not screaming at me that I can't get work done? Perhaps that a better question for a therapist than a blog. :)
It's all part of the journey, strengthening that self-discipline muscle. Signing off and opening my document....in 5...4...3...
No comments:
Post a Comment