On April 22, 2013 I started a two week study leave at home. Today is day three and disentangling myself from work has been challenging! A power outage on campus, dangling matters that required wrapping up, the absence of external (graded) deadlines, and remaining at home have made this transition difficult. To be clear, my supervisors and colleagues at work have been supportive and have made no demands on me during this absence. I stopped my work email on my iPhone and set a stern outgoing message that I won't be looking at my email. My family has been wonderfully encouraging and only expect a homemade meal at the end of the day (ribs and baked beans are in the oven - I love cooking so this is a creative outlet for me).
I had entertained the idea of escaping to California where a fellow PhD student has opened his home but family finances did not allow for yet another trip. I am trying hard to not regret that decision but think it would have allowed me to step away from all responsibilities. But that sounds like another excuse.
So, what I have I done so far? Made three great meals. Made a (fantastic) spaghetti dinner for 180 people for my church's youth group and participated in organizing a congregational handprint banner for my grade 4 sunday school class. I ended up working most of Monday cleaning things up. Had coffee with my aunt and a drink with a friend. Slept in. Read a book. Went for a long walk with my 80 year old friend who has mild dementia and needs some company. Wrote two paragraphs.
Fellow dissertation writers have encouraged me to keep my expectations low for the first couple of day. Another (wise) friend suggested starting my day with devotions.
It's midday. Two more sentences done. I think I'll start at the beginning with some devotional time.
No comments:
Post a Comment